Yesterday, 5,000 Diner en Blanc guests set up their tables and chairs at Lincoln Center to dine amongst friends, both old and new. They all showed up in true Diner en Blanc fashion: cloaked in the mystery of not knowing their final destination, surrounded by good friends, decked in all white elegant attire and with enough food (and energy) to be the life of the party.
Amid the hustle and bustle of the concrete jungle this event is known for suspending time. And for its 7th year in New York City, Le Diner en Blanc New York held no punches.
The night included:
– A live opera performance
– A live marching band
– A live DJ (who played Kompa, Reggae, Afrobeats and all the necessary dance tunes)
– AND FIVE THOUSAND HAPPY NEW YORKERS
Despite having to carry their own tables, chairs, picnic baskets and silverware across the hot muggy city subway, I was surrounded by blissful New Yorkers. Willing participants ready to share their food, a dance and a couple of selfies throughout the evening.
5,000 guests showed up at @lincolncenter yesterday to share a repast among friends old and new. New York, like every year, you've outdone yourself. We'll be posting pictures of the evening throughout the day! Make sure you tag @dinerenblancnyc and #dinerenblancnyc so we can repost some of your favorite moments ✨ ✨✨✨📹 @un_delice
Here are just 5 reasons you NEED to add Le Diner en Blanc NYC to your bucket list:
– You get to experience the city’s vibrant landscape anew. I’ve been to Lincoln Center many times, I even attended the 2012 Diner en Blanc event that was held there, but NYC architecture never ceases to amaze. You really get a renewed appreciation for it.
Secret, flash mob-style, all white outfit dinner? Check! ✔️This was such a cool experience @dinerenblancnyc Check our instastories while they're still live 🤗 We packed a dinner, carried our own table, chairs and decorations and a volunteer leader led us to the secret location! #dinerenblancnyc #dinerenblanc
– You can make it as big as you want to. Whether its wearing outlandish hats or putting together an imaginative all white outfit, Le Diner en Blanc convenes New York’s most stylish and quirky personalities.
A guest attends the annual New York City "Diner en Blanc", held this year on the plaza at Lincoln Center, August 22nd 2017. The chic secret pop-up style picnic is always held at a mystery landmark location, which is only revealed at the last minute. Guests are asked to dress entirely in white, and bring a picnic basket of food, fine china and silverware. Credit: AFP/Timothy A.Clary #DinerenBlanc #NewYork #picnic #white #NYC #surprise
– SO MUCH GOOD FOOD! It’s like you died and woke up in foodie heaven.
– It’s as much a feast for the eyes as it is for the belly: from the guests’s table settings, to the live entertainment, there’s plenty to soak in.
– You make a new friend every time. New York City gets a bad rap for being a little rough around the edges, but this diamond in the rough shines bright beneath the Diner en Blanc clout. It’s like you’re part of one big family.
No wonder its dubbed the most magical event of the year.
What else should you expect? Get first hand accounts from past guests:
Photos by Maude Delice